عنوان مقاله [English]
Stachys byzantina is one the major increaser species in rangelands of north face of Alborz Mountain in Mazandaran province. The purpose of this study was to assess the effects of its invasion on vegetation under some disturbances in Vaz Chamestan summer rangelands in Mazandaran province. Vegetation sampling was carried out in exclosure, and invaded rangelands including abandoned dryland, moderate grazing and heavy grazing sites. The vegetation and some characteristics of Stachys were sampled in 1 m2 quadrates along transects. The results showed that Stachys byzantina had greater quantities in abandoned dryland and rangelands under moderate grazing. The cover percentage of total perennials, perennial grasses and forbs significantly reduced from exclosure to heavy grazing and abandoned dryland. Total annuals plants, annual grasses and forbs significantly increased in abandoned dryland. A significant negative correlation was found between cover percentage of perennials and the cover and density of Stachys byzantina. Moreover, the forage production of forbs was negatively correlated withthe cover and density of Stachys byzantina. Multivariate analysis showed that species composition significantly changed under invasion, showing a reduction for palatable species.
Abella, S. R., Chiquoine, L. and Backer, D. M., 2012. Ecological characteristics of sites invaded by Buffelgrass (Pennisetum ciliare). Invasive Plant Science and Management, 5: 443-453.
- Akbarzadeh, M., 2001. Ordination of plant communities in summer rangeland of Vaz watershed basin, Mazandaran. Journal of Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 51: 98-103.
- Alpert, P., Bone, E. and Holzapfel, C., 2000. Invasiveness, invasibility and the role of environmental stress in the spread of non-native plants. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics, 3: 52-66.
- Amiri, M., Solaimani, K., Tamartash, R. and Miryaghoubzadeh, M. H., 2012. Identification of invasive species using remote sensing and vegetation indices, (Case study: Vazroud Rangelands, Iran). Journal of Rangeland Science, 3 (1): 59-70.
- Bjerknes, A., Totland, Q. Hegland, S. J. and Nielsen, A., 2007. Do alien plant invasions really affect pollination success in native plant species? Biological Conservation, 138: 1-12.
- Farahnak Ghazani, M., Najibzadeh, M. R. and Ghahramani, A., 2015. Effects of exclosure on vegetation changes in Sahand rangelands. Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 22 (3): 525- 536.
- Ghorbani, J., 2015. Multivariate Analysis of Ecological Data using Canoco. Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources University, 328p.
- Ghorbani, J., Beheshti, Z., Shokri, M. and Tamartash, R., 2011b. Soil seed bank size and composition in a rangeland and two adjacent rangelands with different history of cultivation. Journal of Range and Watershed Management. Iranian Journal of Natural Resources, 64 (1): 229-241.
- Ghorbani, J., Shokri, M., Haghian, I., Gholami, P., Beheshti, Z. and Moamai, N., 2011a. Species composition changes in mountain rangelands of Alborz after burning Juniperus communis. First international conference on fire in natural resources. Gorgan University of agricultural sciences and natural resources, Gorgon, Iran.
- Grime, J. P. 2003. Plant strategies, vegetation processes, and ecosystem properties. Second Edition, John Wiley and Sons, USA, 465p.
- Hikman, K. R., Hartnett, D. C. and Owensby, C. E., 2004. Grazing management effect on plant species diversity in tallgrass prairie. Journal of Range Management, 57: 58-65.
- Hulme, P. E., 2006. Beyond Control, wider implications for the management of biological invasions. Applied Ecology, 43: 835-847.
- Marshall, V. M., Lewis, M. M. and Ostendorf, B., 2012. Buffel grass (Centrums ciliaris) as an invader and threat to biodiversity in arid environments: a review. Journal of Arid Environment, 78: 1-12.
- Masters, R. A. and Sheley, R. L., 2001 Principles and practices for managing rangeland invasive plants. Journal of Range Management, 54: 502- 517.
- McDonald, C. J. and McPherson, G. R., 2011. Fire behavior characteristics of buffelgrass-fueled fires and native plant community composition in invaded patches. Journal of Arid Environment, 75: 1147-1154.
- Nazari, S., Ghorbani, J., Zali, S. H. and Tamartash, R., 2014. Species composition and seed density of soil seed bank in mountain grassland of north Alborz. Plant Researches (Iranian journal of Biology), 27 (2): 310- 319.
- Nazari, S., Ghorbani, J., Zali, S. H. and Tamartash, R., 2016. The effect of livestock grazing and invasion of Stachys byzantina on vegetation structure indices (Case study: mountain grassland in the northern slopes of Alborz). Rangeland, 10 (1): 27- 40.
- Radosevich, S. R., Holt, J. S. and Ghersa, C. M., 2007. Ecology of weeds and invasive plants: Relationship to agriculture and natural resource management. 3th edition, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 454p.
- Rejma´nek, M. and Pitcairn, M. J., 2002. When eradication of exotic pest is plants a realistic goal? Pp. 249–253 in C. R. Veitch and M. N. Clout (Eds.), Turning the Tide: The Eradication of Invasive Species. IUCN/SSC Invasive Species Specialist Group. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland, and Cambridge.
- Robertson, S. G. and Hickman, K. R., 2012. Aboveground plant community and seed bank composition along an invasion gradient. Plant Ecology, 213: 1461-1475.
- Rout, M. E., Chrzanowski, T.H., Smith, W.K. and Gough, L., 2013. Ecological impacts of the invasive grass Sorghum halepense on native tallgrass prairie. Biological Invasions, 15: 327- 339.
- Roxburgh, S.H., Shea, K. and Wilson, J.B. 2004. The intermediate disturbance hypothesis: patch dynamics and mechanisms of species coexistence. Ecology, 85: 359–371.
- Tarhouni, M., Ben Salem, F., Ouled Belgacem, A. and Neffati, M., 2010. Acceptability of plant species along grazing gradients around watering points in Tunisian arid zone. Flora, 205: 454-461.
- Yousefi, J.و Ghorbani, J., Shokri, M. and Zali, H., 2016. Estimating the potential of seed production and dispersal in mountain grassland of central Alborz (Case study: rangelands of Sorkh-Abad Savadkooh, Mazandaran province). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 22 (4): 757- 767.