عنوان مقاله [English]
The reduced biomass in forests and rangelands ecosystems for any reason can affect the process of carbon sequestration and as a result of global warming. This study was conducted to assess carbon storage under different grazing intensities in rangeland of Chah Mary dominated with Artemisia siberi in Khuzestan province. Three sites under heavy, moderate and low grazing intensities were selected based on similar topographic features (slope, aspect and elevation), rainfall, soil and climate. Plant sampling was done in key areas by random-systematic method along three transects of 100m and 60 plots of 1m2. Then, aerial and underground biomass parameters were evaluated in each plot and carbon was determined by ash method. The data were analyzed by SPSS v.16 software. According to the results, carbon sequestration decreased from 5704/3 in the low-grazing region to 3470/1 in the high-grazing region. Also, under low-grazing intensity, the carbon stored in aerial biomass and underground biomass was 4360/9 and 2180/5, respectively.
- Abdi, N., Maadah Arefi, H. and Zahedi Amiri, G. H., 2008. Estimation of Carbon Sequestration in Astragalus Rangelands of Markazi Province (Case study: Malmir Rangeland in Shzand Region). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 15(2): 269-282.
- Alizadeh, M., Mahdavi, M. and Jouri, M. H. 2010. Capability investigation of carbon sequestration in two species (Artemisia sieberi Besser and Stipa barbata Desf) under different treatments of vegetation. Journal of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 4: 248-251.
- Alizadeh, M., Mahdavi, M. and Mahdavi, K. H. 2009. The effects of exclosure management and grazing on carbon sequestration in sagebrush steppe rangeland (case study: Rudshur Saveh). Journal of plant Ecophysiology, 1: 89-99.
- Amir Aslani, F., 2004. Carbon sequestration in desert lands. Journal of Forests and Range, 62: 71-77.
- Azamivand, H., Joneidy jafari, H., Zarechahooki, M.A., Jafari, M. and Nikoo, S.H., 2009. Investigation of Livestock grazing on carbon sequestration and nitrogen reserve in rangeland with Artemisia sieberi in Semnan province. Iranian Society of Range Management, 3:590-610.
- Baker, J. M., Ochsner, T. E., Venterea, R. T., and Griffis T. J., 2007. Tillage and soil carbon sequestration- What do we really know? Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 118:1-5.
- Basiri, M. and Irvani, M., 2009. Plant cover changes after 19 years experimental in central Zagros. Iranian Journal of Society of Range Management, 3: 155-170.
- Booker, K., Huntsinger, L., Bartolome, J,. Sayre, N., and Stewart, W., 2013. What can ecological science tell us about opportunities for carbon sequestration on arid rangelands in the United States? Journal of Global Environmental Change, 23 (1): 240–251.
- Bordbar, K. and Mortazavi Jahromi, S. 2006. Study of forest carbon storage capacity of Eucalyptus and Acacia province Fars. Iranian Journal of Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 7: 95-103.
- Dean, C. H., Kirkpatrick, J., Harper, R. and Eldridge, D., 2015. Optimising carbon sequestration in arid and semiarid rangelands. Journal of Ecological Engineering,74,: 148–163.
- Dianati Tilaki, G. H., Naghipour Borj, A. A., Tavakkoli, H., Heidarian Aghakhani, M. and Saeed Afkhamoshoara, M. R., 2009 . Effect of exclosure on soil and plant carbon sequestration in semi-arid rangeland of North Khorasan, Iranian Journal of Society of Range Management, 3: 668-679.
- Farank, A. B., Tanaka, D. L., Hofmann, L. and Follett, R. F., 1995. Soil carbon and nitrogen of Northern Great Plains grasslands as influenced by long-term grazing. Journal of Range Management, 48:470-474.
- Froozeh, M. R. and Mirzaali, E., 2006. The effects of enclosure on carbon sequestration in the dominant species and soil surface in saline range lands (A case study of Gomishan rangelands). The 8th International Conference on Development of Dry lands, Beijing, China, 35-36 p .
- Forozeh, M. R., Heshmati, G. H. and Mesbah, S. H., 2008. Comparing carbon sequestration potential of three shrub species in arid rangeland of Iran (Case study: Fasa Garibaygan plain). Iranian Journal of Environmental Studies, 46: 65-72.
- Gabriels, D., Schiettecatte, W., Verbist, K. and Cornelis, W., 2004. Water harvesting in southeast Tunisia and soil water storage in the semiarid zone of the Loess Plateou of China. 3: 19-24. In: Thomas S (Eds.) 2nd International Workshop of combating desertification : sustainable management of marginal dry lands. UNESCO – MAB dry lands Series, Shiraz, Iran.
- Gao, Y. H., Lue, P., Wu, N., Chen, H. and Wang, G. X., 2007 . Grazing intensity impacts on carbon Sequestration in an Alpine Meadow on the Eastern Tibetan Plateau. Journal of Agriculture and Biological Scieccs, 3(6): 642-647.
- Hosseiniaghdam, E., Bahrami, B., Ghorbani, A. and Mohseni, A., 2016. Response of soil organic Matter to changes in the differing intensities of grazing in semi-arid rangelands in Iran. Journal of American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- Jafarian, Z. and Seyyed Alikhani, L., 2013. Carbon sequestration in dry farmed wheat in Kiasar Region, Journal of Agricultural science, 23(1): 31-41.
- Jalilvand, H. R., Tamartash, R. and Heydarpor, H., 2007. Grazing Impact on vegetation and some soil chemical properties in Kojur Rangelands, Noushahr Iranian Journal of Rangeland, 1: 53-66.
- Javadi, S. A., Jafari, M., Azarnivand, H. and Alavi, S. J., 2005. An Investigation of the Grazing Intensity Effects on Variations of Soil Organic Matter and Nitrogen in Lar. Iranian Journal of Natural Resources, 58 (9): 711- 718.
- Joneidi, H., Amani, S. and Karami, P., 2016. The impact of grazing on sequestration and storage of carbon in Bijar protected rangelands.Iranian Journal of Society of Range Management, 10 (1): 53-67.
- Khanlari, A., Tamartash, R. and Tatian, M., 2013. Investigation of carbon sequestration potential of ungrazed rangelands in Winter Rangelands of Sorkhkola, Sari. Journal of Human and Environment, 26:27-35.
- Lashnizand, M., Sepahmansur, R., Taghavi Goudarzi, S. and Zolfaghari, P., 2013. Evaluation of thee ffectiveness of biomechanical practices of watershed management on carbon sequestration for climate change mitigation, case study: Kouhdasht aquifer management and Romeshkan flood spreading. Journal of Watershed Engineering and Management, 5(1): 9-16.
- Joneidi Jafari, H., 2009. Investigate effect of ecological factors and management on carbon sequestration in Artemisia siberi habitats (Case study: Semnan province rangelands). Ph.D. Thesis, Rangeland Management, College of natural resources, University of Tehran, Tehran, 126p.
- Mesdaghi, M., 2010 .Range Management in Iran. University Imam Reza, Mashhad, 333p.
- Naghipour Borj, A. A., Dianati Tilaki, Gh. A., Tavakoli, H. and Haidarian Aghakhani, M., 2009. Grazing intensity impact on soil carbon sequestration and plant biomass in semi-arid rangelands (Case study: Sisab rangelands of Bojnord). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research , 16(3): 375-385.
- Schuman, G. E., Janzen, H. and Herrick, J. E. 2002. Soil carbon information and potential carbon sequestration by rangelands, Journal of Environmental Pollution, 116: 391-396.
- Shahrokh, S., Souri, M., Moetamedi, J. and Eftekhari, A., 2017. Effects of contour furrow on soil and biomass carbon sequestration (Case study: Khalifan rangelands, Mahabad). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 24 (1): 98- 109.
- Tamartash, R., Tatian, M. and Yousefian, M., 2012. The effects of different plant species in carbon sequestration in plain rangelands of Miankale. Journal of Environmental Studies, 62: 45-54.
- UNDP., 2000. Carbon sequestration in the desertifield rangelands of Hossein Adab, through community based management, Program Coordination, 1-7.
- Yousefian, M., Mahdavi, K. H., Mahdavi, M. and Tamartash, R., 2011. Evaluation of Artemisia aucheri potential to absorb greenhouse gases of CO2 (Case study: Chiro Rangeland in (Semnan province). Second Regional Conference on sustainable development of natural resources in the southern Caspian sea. Shushtar . 7p.
- Veramesh, S., Hoseini, M., Abdi, N., and Akbarnia, M., 2010. Increment of soil carbon sequestration due to forestation and its relation with some physical and chemical factors of soil. Iranian Journal of Forest, 2 (1): 91-102.
- William, E., 2002. Carbon dioxide fluxes in a semi-arid environment with high carbonate soils. Journal of Agricultural and Forest Methodology, 116: 91-102.
- Yong Zhong. S. U., 2007. Soil Carbon and nitrogen sequestration following the conversion of cropland to alfalfa land in northwest china. Journal of Soil and Tillage Research, 92:181-189.
- Zobel, R. W., 1992. Soil environmental constraints to root growth. Advances in Soil Science Book Series.19:27-51.