عنوان مقاله [English]
The occurrence of below-zero temperatures in recent winters in Khuzestan province has caused the freezing of Prosopis juliflora trees. The aim of this study was to determine the sensitivity of this species to freezing under zero temperatures. In this study, a split split plot was used in a completely randomized design with six replications. In order to apply the treatments, the branches of elderly trees and two-year old seedlings were considered as main treatment; below-zero temperatures (-1-, -3, -5 and 7 ° C) as the first sub treatment; and different times (1, 2, 3 and 4 hours) as the second sub-treatment. The amount of electrolyte leakage from the membrane of leaf and stem cells was measured and, based on this, LT50 was calculated. The chlorophyll (II) fluorescence and photosynthesis efficiency of the leaves were measured as indicators for determining the damage to frost. The results showed that there was no significant difference for all traits between branches of the old trees and two-year-old seedlings. The percentage of electrolyte leakage from leaf and stem increased significantly with decreasing temperature. The LT50 occurred at -5 ° C after three hours. At -7 ° C, after the first hour, LT50 occurred in the leaves and after the third hour in the stems. After freezing stress, the Fv/Fm decreased significantly. After two hours at -1°C, Fv/Fm did not change significantly but in three hours Fv/Fm decreased from 0.64 (in control) to about 0.48. It reached to 0.15 after applying four hours at -7°C.
- Aryanpooya1, Z., Davary nejad, Gh. and Attar, Sh., 2009. Investigation of frost susceptibility of some peach and nectarine cultivars in the winter of 2008, Mashhad, Iran. Journal of Horticultural Sciences, 23 (1): 78-87.
- Asl Moshtaghi, E., Shahsavar, A. R. and Taslimpour, M. R., 2009. Ionic leakage as indicators of cold hardiness in olive (Olea europaea L.). World Applied Sciences Journal, 7 (10): 1308-1310.
- Azzarello, E., Mugnai, S., Pandolfi, C., Masi, E., Marone, E. and Mancuso, S., 2009. Comparing image (fractal analysis) and electrochemical (impedance spectroscopy and electrolyte leakage) techniques for the assessment of the freezing tolerance in Olive Trees. Journal of Trees, 23: 159–167.
- Baghbanha, M. R., Fotouhi Ghazvini, R., Hatamzadeh, A. and Heidari, M., 2007. Effect of salicylic acid on freezing tolerance of Mexican Lime seeding (Citrus aurantifolia L.). Iranian Journal of Horticultural Science and Tecnology, 8(3): 185-198.
- Barranco D., Ruiz N. and Gomez-del Campo, M., 2005. Frost tolerance of eight olive cultivars. Journal of HortScience. 40: 558-560.
- Behnamfar, K. and Alemi Saied, K. H., 2014. Evaluation of changes in forage chemical composition of some range grasses and their correlation with digestibility (Case study: The sand dunes of Bostan, Khouzestan). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 21 (2): 273-281.
- Behnamfar, K., Siadat, S.A. and Salehe Shoshtari, M. H., 2014. Determination of suitable mixed plantation of rangeland, tree and shrub species with different row spacing's in order to produce forage and biological stabilization of sand dunes in Khouzestan. Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 21 (1): 41-49.
- Gomory, D., Foffova, E., Kmet, J., Longauer, R. and Romsakova, I., 2010. Norway spruce (Picea abies [L.] KARST.) Provenance variation in autumn cold hardiness: Adaptation or Acclimation?. Journal of Actta Biologica Cracoviensia Sertes Botanica, 52(2): 42–49.
- Hu, W. H., Zhou, Y. H., Yao Shun Dua, Y. S., Xia, X. J. and Yua, J. Q., 2006. Differential response of photosynthesis in greenhouse- and field-ecotypes of tomato to long-term chilling under low light. Journal of Plant Physiol. 163: 1238-1246.
- Ibanez, C., Kozarewa, I., Johansson, M., Ogren, E., Rohde, A. and Eriksson, M. E., 2010. Circadian Clock Components Regulate Entry and Affect Exit of Seasonal Dormancy as Well as Winter Hardiness in Populus trees. Journal of Plant Physiology, 153: 1823–1833.
- Luoranen J., Repo, T. and Lappi, J., 2004. Assessment of the frost hardiness of shoots of silver birch (Betula pendula) seedlings with and without controlled exposure to freezing. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 34(5): 1108-1118.
- Mancuso, S., Nicese, F. P., Masi, E. and Azzarello, E., 2004. Comparing fractal analysis, electrical impedance and electrolyte leakage for the assessment of cold tolerance in Callistemon and Grevillea spp. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology, 79(4): 627-632.
- Najafi Tireh Shabankareh, K. and Jalili, A., 2012. Effects of Prosopis juliflora (SW.) DC on some physical and chemical soil properties. Iranian journal of Range and Desert Reseach, 19 (3): 406-420.
- Peguero-Pina, J.J., Morales, F. and Gil-Pelegrin, E., 2008. Frost damage in Pinus sylvestris L. stems assessed by chlorophyll fluorescence in cortical bark chlorenchyma. Journal of Annals of Forest Science, 65(813): 1-6.
- Percival, G.C., 2004. Evaluation of physiological tests as predictors of young tree establishment and growth. Journal of Arboriculture, 30(2): 80-91.
Ranford, J. and Reiling, K., 2007. The effect of winter stress on Ilex aquifolium L. previously fumigated with ozone. Journal of Environmental Pollution, 145: 171-178.