عنوان مقاله [English]
This study was conducted in two separated experiments in the National Salinity Research Center in 2016. In the first experiment, the effect of 12 priming treatments consisted of potassium nitrate, sodium chloride, calcium chloride, and GA3 with control were investigated on seed germination of Salicornia (Salicornia bigelovii var. LVYUAN no.1) in order to select the best priming for the second experiment. In the second experiment, the effects of different salinity levels (12.5, 25.0, 37.5 and 50.0 dS m-1) and GA3 concentrations including 500 and 1000 mg L-1 were also evaluated on seed germination of the Salicornia genotype. The salinity treatments were prepared by different percentage of Persian Gulf water. The results showed that all the priming treatments increased germination percentage compared to the control, and the highest effect belonged to the concentrations of 500 and 1000 mg l-1 of GA3,by 142.3% and 119.1%, respectively. It was revealed in the second experiment that salt stress significantly reduced percentage and rate of seed germination, so that salinity treatments as 12.5, 25.0, 37.5 and 50.0 dS m-1 could reduce germination percentage by 11.8%, 40.3%, 63.3% and germination rate by 81.4% and 21.3%, 40.0%, 62.3% and 70.1%, respectively. However, GA3 priming could improve the salt tolerance and compensate a part of this loss, especially at 500 mg L-1. Application of GA3 increased salt tolerance threshold of Salicornia at germination stage. In no prim and GA3-priming treatments at 500 and 1000 mg L-1, salinity tolerance thresholds were 4.15, 9.31 and 6.56 dS m-1 and the threshold of 50% reduction was 20.36, 35.97 and 31.39 dS m-1, respectively. In general, the results indicated that seed germination and rate of Salicornia were improved using GA3.
- Amiri, B., Rasouli, B., Assareh, M. H., Jafari, M. and Jafari, A. A., 2012. Effect of NaCl & Na2SO4 on germination and seedling growth of Salicornia herbacea & Alhagi persarum. Iranian Journal of Rangeland and Desert Research, 19(2): 233-243.
- Anvari, M., Mehdikhani, H., Shahriari, A. R. and Nouri, G. R., 2009. Effect of salinity stress on 7 species of range plants in germination stage. Iranian Journal of Rangeland and Desert Research, 16(2): 262-273.
- Ashraf, M. and Foolad, M. R., 2005. Pre-sowing seed treatment – a shotgun approach to improve germination, plant growth, and crop yield under saline and non-saline conditions. Advances in Agronomy Journal, 88: 223-271.
- Ashraf, M., Athar, H. R., Harris, P. J. C. and Kwon T. R., 2008. Some prospective strategies for improving crop salt tolerance. Advance in Agronomy Journal, 97: 45-110.
- Bailly, C., Benamar, A., Corbineau F. and Come D., 2000. Antioxidant systems in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) seeds as affected by priming. Seed Science Research Journal, 10: 35-42.
- Chapman, V. J., 1960. Salt marshes and salt deserts of the world: 213-214. In: Polunin, N., (Eds.). Plant Science Monographs. Interscience Publications, New York, 392p.
- Clark, A., 1994. Samphire: From sea to shining seed. Saudi Aramco World, 45: 2–9.
- Dave, A., Vaistij, F. E., Gilday, A. D., Penfield, S. D. and Graham, I. A., 2016. Regulation of Arabidopsis thaliana seed dormancy and germination by 12-oxo-phytodienoic acid. Journal of experimental Botany, 67(8): 2277-2284.
- Emam Y. and Pirasteh-Anosheh, H., 2014. Field and Laboratory Techniques in Crop Sciences. Jahad-e-Daneshgahi Press, Mashhad, 108p.
- Ghasemi Pirbalouti, A., Golparvar, A., Riyahi Dehkordi, M. and Navid, A., 2007. The effect of different treatments on seeds dormancy and germination of five species of medicinal plants of Chahar Mahal & Bakhteyari province. Journal of Pajouhesh & Sazandegi, 74: 185-192.
- Glenn, E. P., Brown, J. and O’Leary, J., 1998. Irrigating crops with seawater. Scientific American, 279: 56-61.
- Guan, B., Yu, J., Lu, Z., Xie, W., Chen, X. and Wang, X., 2011. The ecological effects of Suaeda salsa on repairing heavily degraded coastal saline-alkaline wetlands in the Yellow River Delta. Journal of Acta Ecologica Sinica, 31: 4835-4840.
- Gulzar, S. and Khan, M. A., 2001. Seed germination of a halophytic grass Aeluropus lagopoides. Journal of Annals of Botany, 87: 319-324.
- Guma, I. R., Padron-Mederos, M. A., Santos-Guerra, A. and Reyes-Betancort, J. A., 2010. Effect of temperature and salinity on germination of Salsola vermiculata L. (Chenopodiaceae) from Canary Islands. Journal of Arid Environments, 74: 708–711.
- Hamidi R., Pirasteh-Anosheh H. and Izadi M., 2013. Effect of seed halo-priming compared with hydro-priming on wheat germination and growth. International Journal of Agronomy and Plant Production, 4(7): 1611-1615.
- Heydecker, W., Higgins, J. and Gulliver, R. L., 1973. Accelerated germination by osmotic seed treatment. Nature, 246: 42-46.
- Kafi, M., Asadi, H. and Ganjeali, A., 2010. Possible utilization of high-salinity waters and application of low amounts of water for production of the halophyte Kochia scoparia as alternative fodder in saline agroecosystems. Agricultural Water Management, 97: 139-147.
- Khan, M. A. and Weber, D. J., 1986. Factors influencing seed germination in Salicornia pacifica var. utahensis. American Journal of Botany, 73: 1163–1167.
- Li, P., Chun, H., Zhou, Q. C., Zhou, F., Chen, Q. Z., Zhao, M. D., Li., J. L. and Zheng, Q. S., 2011. Effects of exogenous GA3 on seed germination and seedling growth of Salicornia europaea L. under salt stress. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, 12(2): 217-221.
- Li, R., Shi, F. and Fukuda, K., 2010. Interactive effects of salt and alkali stresses on seed germination recovery and seedling growth of a halophyte Spartina alterniflora (Poaceae). South African Journal of Botany, 76(2): 380-387
- Maas, E. V. and Hoffman, G. J., 1977. Crop salt tolerance-current assessment. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, 103: 115-134.
- Miransari, M. and Smith, D. L., 2014. Plant hormones and seed germination. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 99: 110-121.
- Nadjafi, F., Bannayan, M., Tabrizi, L. and Rastgoo, M., 2006. Seed germination and dormancy breaking techniques for Ferula gummosa and Teucrium polium. Journal of Arid Environments, 64(3): 542-547.
- Pirasteh-Anosheh, H., Ranjbar, G., Pakniyat, H. and Emam, Y., 2016. Physiological mechanisms of salt stress tolerance in plants; an overview: 141-160. In: Azooz, M. M. and Ahmad, P., (Eds). Plant-Environment Interaction: Responses and Approaches to Mitigate Stress. John Wiley & Sons, London, 361 p.
- Rabbani, J., Hamidi, R. and Pirasteh-Anosheh, H., 2010. Comparison the effect of different primings on germination components of sunflower seed. The proceedings of 11th Crop Science congress. Iran, 24-26 July: 2303-2306.
- Ranjbar, G. H. and Anagholi, A., 2018. Concepts of Salt Stress and Plant Response. Agricultural Education and Extension Press, Tehran 148p.
- Rivers, W. G. and Weber, D. J., 1971. The influence of salinity and temperature on seed germination in Salicornia bigelovii. Physiologia Plantarum, 24: 73–75.
- Singh, D., Buhmann, A. K., Flowers, T. J., Seal, C. E. and Papenbrock, J., 2014. Salicornia as a crop plant in temperate regions: selection of genetically characterized ecotypes and optimization of their cultivation conditions.Journal of AoB Plants 6: 1-20.
- Ungar I. A., 1987. Population characteristics, growth, and survival of the halophyte Salicornia europaea. Journal of Ecology, 68: 569-575.
- Ungar, I.A., 1967. Influence of salinity and temperature on seed germination. Ohio Journal of Science, 67: 120-123.
- Ungar, I. A., 1977. Salinity, temperature, and growth regulator effects on seed germination of Salicornia europaea L. Journal of Aquatic Botany, 3: 329-335.
- Van Genuchtan, M. T. and Hoffman, G. J., 1984. Analysis of crop salt tolerance data: soil salinity under irrigation- process and management. Journal of Ecological Studies, 51: 258-271.
- Ventura, Y., Wuddineh, W.A., Shpigel, M., Samocha, T.M., Klim, B.C., Cohen, S., Shemer, Z., Santos, R. and Sagi, M., 2011. Effects of day length on flowering and yield production of Salicornia and Sarcocornia species.Journal of Scientia Horticulturae, 130(3): 510-516.
- Wahid, A., Noreen A., Basra S. M. A., Gelani S. and Farooq M., 2008. Priming-induced metabolic changes in sunflower (Helianthus annuus) achenes improve germination and seedling growth. Journal of Botanical Studies, 49: 343-350.
- Xianzhao, L., Chunzhi, W. and Qing, S., 2013. Screening for salt tolerance in eight halophyte species from Yellow River Delta at the two initial growth stages. Journal of ISRN Agronomy, 12: 1-8.
- Xue, Y. and Wang, Y., 2007. Influence of light, temperature and salinity on seed germination of Reaumuria trigyna Maxim. Journal of Plant Physiology Communications, 43: 708-710.
- Zeng, Y. Cai, Z., Ma, J., Zhang, F. and Wang, B., 2006. Effects of salt and water stress on seed germination of halophytes Kalidium foliatum and Halostachys caspica. Chinese Journal of Ecology, 25: 1014–1018.