عنوان مقاله [English]
In recent years, drought, industrial and mining activities have increased the amount of dust deposits in the suburbs of Isfahan. The aim of the present study was to investigate the chemical and physical properties of dust particles in the suburbs of Isfahan and to compare it with previous years. In total, 80 dust sediment samples were collected with Marble Dust Collector (MDCO) at 20 stations across the study area during July 2014 to July 2015. The physicochemical characteristics of the collected samples were analyzed by Inductively Coupled Plasma-Mass Spectrometry (ICP_MS), Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectrometry (ICP_OES), X-Ray Diffraction (XRD), and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) methods. The results indicated that the main element composition of dust sediment was Ca, Al, Fe, Mg, Na, K, Ti, Sr, Zn, P, Mn, and Ba. The study also found that concentrations of most heavy metals in the study area were up to five times higher than in previous studies. The northeast part of the study area had the highest amount of dust deposits; However, the highest concentrations of chemicals, especially heavy metals, were observed in the southwest. Considering the highest mean concentration of dust sediments across the study area, the index elements are grouped as Mg, Na, Sr, Mo, Cs and U in the north-east, Mn, Cr, Zr, Pb, Cd and V in the south-west, Hg in the north-western, and Ca in the south-east. According to the mineralogy and morphology analysis, dust sediments in north-east part contained Quartz, Calcite and Gypsum, coated with Dolomite and Muscovite. Angular and semi-rounded morphologies of dust sediment indicate their local source contribution.
- Alleman, L.Y., Lamaison, L., Perdrix, E., Robache, A. and Galloo, J.-C., 2010. PM10 metal concentrations and source identification using positive matrix factorization and wind sectoring in a French industrial zone.Journal of Atmospheric Research, 96(4): 612-625.
- Ahmady-Birgani, H., Mirnejad, H., Feiznia, S.and. McQueen, K. G. 2015. Mineralogy and geochemistry of atmospheric particulates in western Iran. Journal of Atmospheric Environment, 119: 262-272.
- Ashrafi, K., Fallah, R., Hadei, M., Yarahmadi, M. and Shahsavani, A., 2018. Source Apportionment of Total Suspended Particles (TSP) by Positive Matrix Factorization (PMF) and Chemical Mass Balance (CMB) Modeling in Ahvaz, Iran. Journal of Archives of environmental contamination and toxicology, 1-17.
- Engelbrecht, J. P., Moosmüller, H., Pincock, S., Jayanty R. K. M., Lersch, T. and Casuccio, G., 2016. Technical note: Mineralogical, chemical, morphological, and optical interrelationships of mineral dust re-suspensions. Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry and Physic, 16(17): 10809-10830.
- Fassò, A., Finazzi, F., Mahaki, B. and Rabiei, K., 2014. Statistical analysis of water policies, air quality and climate in Isfahan.
- Ganor, E., 1975. Atmospheric dust in Israel-sedimentological and meteorological analysis of dust deposition. Unpublished Ph. D. thesis, The Hebrew University.
- Ghanei, M, 2015..The role of mineral deposits and mining on pollution distribution and soil and plant degradation (Case study: Kushk Lead and Zinc Mine – Bafgh). Ph.D. Thesis, Natural and Agricultural Department, University of Tehran.
- Goossens, D., 2010. Wind tunnel calibration of the USGS dust deposition sampler: sampling efficiency and grain size correction. Journal of Aeolian Research, 2(2): 159-170.
- Goossens, D. and Offer, Z., 1993. Eolian deposition of dust over symmetrical hills-an evaluation of wind-tunnel data by means of terrain measurements. Journal of Zeitschrift fur geomorphologie, 37(1): 103-111.
- Goossens, D. and Offer, Z.Y., 1994. An evaluation of the efficiency of some Aeolian dust collectors. Soil Technology, 7(1): 25-35.
- Goossens, D. and Offer, Z.Y., 2000. Wind tunnel and field calibration of six aeolian dust samplers. Journal of Atmospheric Environment, 34(7): 1043-1057.
- Gregory, P.H., 1962. The microbiology of the atmosphere. Soil Science, 94(5): 349.
- Huang, Y. and Jia, Q., 2008. Coarse dust around mining areas: a study of available dust collectors and their efficiency. Master Thesis, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Luleå University of Technology.
- Jain, S., Sharma, S.K., Choudhary, N., Masiwal, R., Saxena, M., Sharma, A., Mandal, T.K., Gupta, A., Gupta, N.C. and Sharma, C., 2017. Chemical characteristics and source apportionment of PM2.5 using PCA/APCS, UNMIX, and PMF at an urban site of Delhi, India. Journal of Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 24(17): 14637-14656.
- Kandler, K., Benker, N., Bundke, U., Cuevas, E., Eber,t M., Knippertz, P., Rodríguez, S., Schütz, L. and Weinbruch, S., 2007. Chemical composition and complex refractive index of Saharan Mineral Dust at Izaña, Tenerife (Spain) derived by electron microscopy. Journal of Atmospheric Environment, 41(37): 8058-8074.
- Kiani, G.H., Yari. F. and Amiri, H., 2014. An estimation on mortality cost through air pollution in Isfahan city. Journal of Environmental Science, 40(1): 247-254.
- Mahmoodi, Z. and Khademi, H., 2014. Concentration of Selected Heavy Metals in Atmospheric Dust of Isfahan and Neighboring Metropolitan Areas. Journal of Water and Soil Science, 18(67): 243-255.
- McTainsh, G., 1980. Harmattan dust deposition in northern Nigeria. Journal of Nature, 286: 587–588.
- Norouzi, S., Khademi, H., Ayoubi, S., Cano, A. F. and. Acosta, J. A., 2017. Seasonal and spatial variations in dust deposition rate and concentrations of dust-borne heavy metals, a case study from Isfahan, central Iran. Journal of Atmospheric Pollution Research, 8 (4): 686-699.
- Prospero, J.M., 1999. Long-range transport of mineral dust in the global atmosphere: Impact of African dust on the environment of the southeastern United States. Journal of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 96(7): 3396-3403.
- Remeteiová, D., Sminčáková, E. and Flórián, K., 2006. Study of the chemical properties of gravitation dust sediments. Journal of Microchimica Acta, 156(1): 109-113.
- Sow, M., Goossens, D. and Rajot, J.L., 2006. Calibration of the MDCO dust collector and of four versions of the inverted frisbee dust deposition sampler. Journal of Geomorphology, 82(3-4): 360-375.
- Torabi Mirzaei, F., Tajamolian, M., Sarkargar Ardakani, A. and Azimzadeh, H., 2012. Study of the vegetation effect on dust reduction using satellite images (case study: Yazd city). International Geo informatics Research and Development Journal, 2:11-16.
- Zarabi, A., Mohamadi, J. and Abdolahi, A., 2010. Investigation and assessment of stable and mobile resources at the air pollution of Esfahan city. Geographic Journal, 8(26): 151-164.