عنوان مقاله [English]
Fire is one of the most important influencing factors on the structure and composition of plant communities, especially in arid and semiarid rangelands. This study was designed to investigate the role of fire on vegetation dynamics in semi-steppe rangelands of Central Zagros. A stratified random sampling was used to collect the data from six sites with one and five years after the last fire. At each rangeland site, 20 plots with four square area meters, 10 plots in the burned sites and 10 plots in the control sites, were used. The cover percentage of each species was accurately recorded. A one-way analysis of variance and Tukey's test were used to compare each of the variables. The results showed that the fire significantly reduced the vegetation cover and litter, and increased the bare soil surface in the region. The composition of the fire region was close to the control area after a period of five years. The fire caused a decrease in the percentage of shrubs and an increase in the proportion of perennial grasses, annual grasses, and annual forbs in the region. The fire also changed the vegetation composition of rangelands, so that the proportion of hemicryptophytes, therophytes, and geophytes were decreased while chamaephytes increased. Fire also increased the proportion of high and moderate palatable species (class I and II) and reduced the proportion of class III species. Based on the results of this study, it can be concluded that the fire reduces litter and increases the bare soil; consequently, the soil erosion is exacerbated, hence this should be considered in rangeland management. Overall, uncontrolled fires in the semi-arid regions of the country will not lead to the restoration of vegetation cover.
- Alfaro-Sánchez, R., Sánchez Salguero, R., Delas Heras, J., Hernández Tecles, E., Moya, D. and López Serrano, F. R., 2015. Vegetation dynamics of managed Mediterranean forests 16 yr after large fires in southeastern Spain. Journal of Applied Vegetation Science, 18(2): 272-282.
- Ansari, V., 2009. Technical and Practical Principles of Rangeland Improvement and Development Projects. Pooneh Press, Iran, 168p.
- Bargmann, T., Måren, I.E. and Vandvik, V., 2014. Life after fire: smoke and ash as germination cues in ericads, herbs and graminoids of northern heathlands. Journal of Applied Vegetation Science, 17(4): 670-679.
- Bates, J. D., Rhodes, E. C. Davies, K. W. and Sharp, R., 2009. Postfire succession in big sagebrush steppe with livestock grazing. Rangeland Ecology & Management, 62(1): 98-110.
- Bahalkeh, K., Abedi, M., Dianati Tilaki, G., 2018. Effect of fire on biotic interaction of onobrychis curnata in mountain grasslands. Iranian Journal of Rangeland and Desert Research, 25:140-151.
- Bond, W. J., Midgley, G. F. and Woodward, F. I., 2003. What controls South African vegetation climate or fire? South African Journal of Botany, 69(1): 1-13.
- Bond, W. J. and Keeley, J. E., 2005. Fire as a global “herbivore”: the ecology and evolution of flammable ecosystems. Journal of Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 20(7): 387-394.
- Bowman, D. M. J. S., Balch, J. K., Artaxo, P., Bond, W. J., Carlson, J. M., Cochrane, M. A., Antonio, C. M. D., Defries, R. S., Doyle, J. C., Harrison, S. P., Johnston, F. H., Keeley, J. E., Krawchuk, M. A., Kull, C. A., Marston, J. B., Moritz, M. A., Prentice, I. C., Roos, C. I., Scott, A. C., Swetnam, T. W., Van der Werf, G. R. and Pyne, S. J., 2009. Fire in the earth system. Science, 324(5926): 481-484.
- Carleton, S. W. and Loftin, S. R., 2000. Response of 2 semiarid grasslands to cool-season prescribed fire. Journal of Range Management, 53(1):52-61.
- Fattahi, B. and Tahmasebi, A., 2010. Fire influence on vegetation changes of Zagros mountainous rangelands (Case study: Hamadan province). Journal of Rangeland, 4(2): 228-239.
- Guevara, J., Stasi., C., Wuilloud, C. and Estevez. O., 1999. Effects of fire on rangeland vegetation in south-western Mendoza plains (Argentina): composition, frequency, biomass, productivity and carrying capacity. Journal of Arid Environments, 41(1): 27-35.
- Jankju, M., 2009. Range development and improvement. Jahad Daneshgahi Mashhad Press, Iran, 239p.
- Haubensak, K., D'antonio, C. and Wixon. D., 2009. Effects of fire and environmental variables on plant structure and composition in grazed salt desert shrublands of the Great Basin (USA). Journal of Arid Environments, 73(6): 643-650.
- Hobbs, R. J., and Huenneke, L. F., 1992. Disturbance, diversity, and invasion: implications for conservation. Journal of Conservation Biology, 6(3): 324-337.
- Naghipour Borj, A. A., 2015. The role of fire and grazing on soil seed bank and vegetation dynamics of semi-steppe rangelands in the Central Zagros region, Iran. Ph.D. thesis, Department of Natural Resources, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, 150p.
- Naghipour borj, A. A., Khaeddin, J. Bashari., H. Iravani, M. and Tahmasebi, P., 2016. The effect of fire and grazing on density, diversity and richness of soil seed bank in semi-steppe rangelands of Central Zagros region, Iran. Iranian Journal of Rangeland and Desert Research, 23:442-453.
- Noy-Meir, I., 1995. Interactive effects of fire and grazing on structure and diversity of Mediterranean grasslands. Journal of Vegetation Science, 6(5): 701-710.
- Menges, E. and Hawkes, C., 1998. Interactive effects of fire and microhabitat on plants of Florida scrub. Journal of Ecological Applications, 8(4): 935-946.
- Rafiee, F., Jangjou, M. and Ejehadi, H., 2015. Investigating tolerant, adapted and sensitive plant traits to chronological wildfires in a semiarid rangeland. Iranian Journal of Rangeland and Desert Research, 22:73-85.
- Reyes, O. and Casal, M., 2000. Comportamiento reproductivo tras el fuego de especie forestales de Galicia. Cuadernos de la Sociedad Española de Ciencias Forestales, 9: 109-114.
- Safayian, N. and Shokri, M., 1998. Fire as an ecological factor in rangeland ecosystem. Iranian Journal of Natural Resources, 51: 53- 61.
- Sharifi, J. and Iemani, A. A., 2006. An evaluation of the effect of controlled firing on plantcover change and vrity composition in semi-steppe rangelands of Ardabil province. Iranian Journal of Natural Resource, 59(2): 517-526.
- Shokri, M., Safayian, N. and Atrakchali, A., 2001. Fire effect on Golestan park vegetation. Iranian Journal of Natural Resources, 55: 273-280.
- Snyman, H. A., 2015. Short-term responses of southern african semi-arid rangelands to fire: a review of impact on soils. Journal of Arid land Research and Management, 29(2): 222-236.
- Tahmasebi, P., Shirmardi, H., Khedri, H. A. and Ebrahimi, A. A., 2011. Cyclical pattern of succession in semi-steppe rangeland, interactive effect of grazing and fire. Journal of Range and Watershed Management, 64 (2): 187-198.
Tahmasebi, p., 2013. An Investigation on detrimental effect and potential use of fire as a management tool for plant community composition in semi-steppe rangelands, Chaharmahal and Bakhtiari province. Journal of Range and Watershed Management, 66(2): 287-298.