عنوان مقاله [English]
Inappropriate exploitation methods, particularly changes in rangeland use, excessive grazing, and fire have led to sever degradation of rangelands with even worse consequences observed in winter rangelands. The present study, conducted in the poor rangelands of Naftkhane Qasreshirin Plain, aimed to study the effects of practices carried out to improve the conditions of rangelands on vegetation cover and carbon sequestration. The study included four types of treatment including a) furrow and brush- planting, b) pitting and brush- planting, c) managing grazing system, and d) a control treatment with usual exploitation conditions. Details of vegetation cover of the rangelands including condition, trend, biomass, forage production, and rate of carbon sequestration in the four treatments were assessed using transects and quadrates. The highest production rate for biomass and forage, and carbon sequestration in rangelands was 573, 551, and 266 kgha-1, respectively, which belonged to the pitting treatment, and the lowest rates 298, 196, and 137 kgha-1 were for the control treatment. In addition, rangeland condition and trend in studied rangelands were assessed to be positive under pitting and furrow treatments whereas in the control treatment a poor condition and a negative trend were observed. Results of the study indicated that pitting, furrow, and management of the grazing system were respectively the most effective treatments in improving biomass, vegetation cover, forage production, carbon sequestration, and erosion control.
- Abdollahi, V., Zolfaghari, F., Jabbary, M. and Dehghan, M.R., 2015. Effect of crescent pond on soil and vegetation properties in Saravan Rangelands (Sistan and Baluchestan Province). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 22(4): 658- 672.
- Abu-Zanata, M., W., Ruyleb, G. B. and Abdel-Hamid, N. F., 2004. Increasing range production from fodder shrubs in low rainfall areas. Journal of Arid Environments, 59: 205–216.
- Ariapour, A., Mehrabi, H. R. and Dehpahlavan, A., 2016. Effects of range reclamation projects on forage production, condition and trend in Khezel rangeladns, Nahvand region. Journal of Rangeland, 10(1): 1- 10.
- Azarnivand, H. and Zare Chahouki, M. A., 2010. Range Improvement. Tehran University Press, 354p.
- Bahmadi, M. H. and Shahriari, A., 2016. Effects of different rainfall storage methods on vegetation restoration (Case study: Romeh and Dehno watershed, Nehbandan city). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Reseach, 23(1): 51-57.
- Chamani, A., Tavan, M. and Hoseini, S. A., 2011. Effect of three operation systems of contour furrow, pitting and enclosure on rangeland improvement (Case study: Golestan province, Iran). Journal of Rangeland Science, 2(1): 379-387.
- Derner, J. D. and Schuman, G. E., 2007. Carbon sequestration and rangelands: A synthesis of land management and precipitation effects. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 62: 2, 77-85.
- FAO., 2003. Food Energy- Methods of Analysis and Conversion Factors. Rome.
- Feiznia, S., Heshmati, M., Ahmadi, H. and Ghodos, J., 2007. Investigation of gully erosion inMarly Agha-Jari formation in Zagross (Case study: Ghasre-Shirin, Kermanshah). Journal of Pajouhesh and Sazandegi, 74: 32-40.
- Habibzadeh, A., Godarzy M., Mehrvarz, K. and Javanshir, A., 2007. The Effect of pitting, ripping and contour furrow on the moisture storage and increase in plant cover. Journal of the Iranian Natural Research, 60(2): 397- 410.
- Heidarian Aghakhani, M., Naghipour Borj, A. A. and Tavakoli, H., 2010. The effects of grazing intensity on vegetation and soil in Sisab rangelands, Bojnord, Iran. Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 17(2): 243-255.
- Jafari, A., Khosravanian, H. and Fakhri, F., 2012. Evaluation of flood spreading and closed treatment effecton vegetation changes in Tanghestan station of Bushehr province. Journal of Watershed Engineering and Management, 4(2): 103-110.
- Javadi, A., Mosavian, J., Jafari, M., Arzani, H. and Mosavian, M., 2011. The Effect of pasture improvement methods on soil properties in passionate and rigorous rangelands (Case Study: Hoor Hendijan). Journal of Renewable Natural Resources Research, 3(2):1-8.
- Joneidi Jafari, H., Azarnivand, H. and Zare Chahouki, M. A., Jafari, M. and Kargari, A., 2013. Effects of contour furrow on carbon sequestration and nitrogen fixation in Artemisia sieberi rangelands of Semnans province. Journal of Range and Desert Research, 22(2): 658- 672.
- Kamrani, K., Arzani, H., Javadi, S. A. and Azizinejad, R., 2019. Investigating the effects of range management methods (Balanced, Natural and Artificial) on range management (Case study of Gazanak Amol Rangelands, Haraz River Basin). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 25(4): 748-760.
- Karimi Mossadegh, Z., Haig, D. W., Allan, T., Adabi M. H. and Sadeghi, A., 2009. Salinity changes during Late oligocene to early miocene asmari formation deposition, Zagros Mountains, Iran: Journal of Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 272: 17-36.
- Mirdavoodi, H., Etemadi, V., Marvie Mohadjer, M. R. and Zahedi Amiri, G. H., 2018. Plant composition changes along a livestock grazing intensity gradient inDaalaab Parkoak woodlandof Ilam. Journal of Range and Desert Research, 25 (1): 116- 128.
- Moghiminejad, F., Jafari, M., Zare Chahooki, M. A., Ghasemi Arian, Y. and Kohandel, A., 2015. Comparison of soil physical and chemical properties between the sites of exclosure and grazing (Casestudy: Nazarabad-Karaj). Iranain Journal of Rangeland and Desert Research, 21(4): 643-650.
- Souri, M., Mahdavi, K. and Tarverdizadeh Sancari, S., 2017. Effects of mechanical improvement treatments on vegetation performance Case study: Silvana rangelands in West Azerbaijan province. Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 24(2): 360- 369.
- Yari, R., Tavili, A. and Zare, S., 2012. Investigation on soil surface indicators and rangeland functional attributes by landscape function analysis (LFA) (Case study: Sarchah Amari Birjand). Iranian Journal of Range and Desert Research, 18(4): 624-636.